Air layer_P.mahaleb - Easy peasy? No, I did everything wrong...

Air layer_P.mahaleb - Easy peasy?  No, I did everything wrong...

In the autumn 2015 I have collected a small mahaleb with the aim to build  a small shohin.  The tree was far from to be perfect,  but I thought I could improve it by an air layer to get rid of the problematic roots just taking an advantage of the reasonable sized trunk. The structure of the branches was any better than the rootage.  But to put is simply there was something in the air on that day that forced me to collect a small mahaleb at any costs.  My mind has seen the tree in much better shape than my eyes. Normally I do not collect trees on the first day I found them.   I do make additional two or more visits to make the final decision. Not with this one...
    In the spring 2016 the tree has produced some nice strong growth.   A good start I thought.  Maybe I could save one growing season by making the air layer now.   Great, lets do it.  Done.  Then impatiently waiting for the white tiny shots of new roots.   No signs of a progress below the ground line.  On the other hand quite clear signs of a stress on the foliage of the poor beast.    The leaves have rolled up a bit and the growth has stopped.   So I have placed the tree in the shaded, regularly misted area.  The tree has survived and at the end there are some new roots.  BUT.  Forget about a bunch of new roots forming  a nice root flare.   On the other side the desperate  tree has produced  an aerial root at the place where the layer of a sphagnum moss has been in contact with the branch.  Interesting.  Maybe I can produce aerial roots on the ginkgo or some native trees using a similar technique?   I have been told that the aerial roots grow only on very old ginkgo trees, perhaps more than a hundred years old?  Or why not to try it on a ficus?







My take away:
1. WYSIWYG ( What you see is what you get )  Do not let your mind to fool your eyes
2.  Do not try to fool the Nature.  A single major  treatment per season!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro