Yamadori_Prunus mahaleb_How old is this tree?

 It is quite common to ask this question.   Supported by many professionals who sell trees and instead of providing details of origin, variety  and substrate used they try to impress the potential buyer with AGE of the tree.   Just comparing the size of the tree and its presented age, I do have a strong feeling that there is obvious clash.   If these guys are just like me each of them would add some years once the tree moves from their hand.  So at the end the tree that  in my oppinion is about 3-4 years old is claimed to be 8-10 years in propagation.   

Unfortunately,  this AGEING is typical not only for the bonsai retailers.   A great bonsai amateur Mr. Pall is a good example of  that.  Well,  I believe  that he IS in fact a well established bonsai retailer with great marketing skills, but because he always disclaimed that  he must be an amateur then.

What really strikes me was the Mr Ryan Neil's pages with promo sales of some of his trees.  RMJ,  185 years old...  Frankly,  I cannot understand that, but  I am more than happy to live with that.  All of us are just human being and none of us is perfect.   His eagerness, level of knowledge and skills overweight all the other things I do not like/understand.

 

So, how old is this tree?  

Well, looking on my trees I am asking myself this question  now and then.  But the reply would be something like: It looks old.   Or even better: It looks really very old.   Very happy that this tree falls into the second category.  Looking just on the quality of the alligator skin it seems that this is one of the two oldest mahalebs in my collection so far.  Is it true? I do know as there are so many internal and external factors that affect the results that  simply nobody  stand the chance to figure it out.  Apart from using a saw...

 

 






Comments

  1. Nádherný poťah, parádny matroš :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cut a section off of that stub you have at the base. Sand it, and count the rings - you'd be surprised how dense they can get sometimes! My first blog post was about this method for estimating yamadori age because many people didn't believe the ages listed in Dan Robinson's garden, but he counted rings on branches and roots to estimate those.

    https://www.ry2tree2.com/2016/09/a-lesson-in-dendrochronology.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I may understand the burning desire "to know" I am still happy with the label "it looks very old" :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro