Another air layer this time on small elm

Sunny and reasonably cold.  On some places in the south there was -20°C.  The central part is much warmer  just below -10°C.  No snow though.  Hoar frost.  The weather forecast  for next week indicates  daily temps around 12°C.   So for the time being I have left most of my trees outside.  The only ones I have moved to the frost free area are the newly airlayered guys, some of the threadgrafted trees and some others.

This elm is the only one of the airlayered bunch that has not been separated this autumn.   I will check it once again in spring.   The reason?  Pretty much the same as for the small spindle tree.   The real growth of new roots has only started in Sept.   At that time there was just few tiny roots that have developed since the late spring when the air layer has been made.  One of them was visibly stronger - with diameter just 2-3 mm.  I was considering to cut it short but then I have left it alone.   Right now this root was over 12 mm.   Within two and half  months of growth.   I guess it was a mistake to leave it.  A lesson for next time.  So, it has been cut short and I will seem how the tree reacts...

November 2018

Height: 18 cm.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro