Malus evereste_No1_a shift in design


The trees grown from seeds have a number of advantages.  But clearly there are some challenges as well:   
- how to build the curves in a right proportion
- how to cultivate the branches in the exact positions you would like to have
- where to plant/store all the little bastards if you have limited space already occupied by the bigger brothers and sisters  just to name a few of them.

The space is really a problem for me.   Because of the limit I cannot have enough seedlings to make a reasonable group from which I can select just a few most promising prebonsai for further cultivation.   Well, I need to find out how to deal with that.   


Out of five seedlings in the ground  I have selected  three and placed them into pots.  

This is one of them back in 2016. As you can see  I have planned to build a new leader using a threadgrafted branch.  
  
Apple tree  Bonsai  Shohin



2017
The early spring has caught me with a saw removing the taken new leader and forming a new leader from a lower branch.  

Apple tree  Bonsai  Shohin

Apple tree  Bonsai  Shohin

The tree has something on its trunk that reminds me a bold pigeon breast.  I am not very happy about it,  but to look at it from a bright side - I can give the tree a name without too much pondering.

btw the plastic tape placed over the cut should keep the newly formed callus flat - At least I hope.  Lets see if that works...

Target height: 15-17 cm

Previous post about this tree are  here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro