Slanting birch

My first birch collected in spring  2007




2014.   The main trunk has died some time after the collection.   In the meantime I have made an approach graft to create new leader. ( The trunk on the right side )


2017.   Two new approach graft have been added.   At the end I have kept only one of them - lowest branch on the right. 

The top section of the trunk looks its age  of 3 years.  But that will change with time. 
Ramification should be improved - no problem. I know how to do it.
Reduce the size of the leaves.  I hope we can do it. 

There are some other flaws that  I cannot change.   The strange drum like thickening in the mid section of the trunk as a result of the approach graft.   The dead wood at the bottom part of the trunk - well in fact,  this was a burl - uncontrolled growth  that can be seen quite often on birches. And it is in my oppinion something nice to have on a birch bonsai too.  The dead remains of the original main trunk in the middle.

On the positive side - there is quite nice cracking bark indicating the age of this tree.



Height:  60 cm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro