Pyrus communis_PC 4_Spring 2016 Air layer in progress_so far so good

Pyrus communis_PC 4_Spring 2016 Air layer in progress_so far so good

Any time I have passed this tree I have got a tingle at the tips of my fingers.  You know that kind of strange vibrations of compulsive need to do something.  Something you know that it is inevitable,  but at the same time that king of thing that could ruin all your past effort and could lead to the termination of the plant.   A plant that I have admired so much for its endurance  and character.
My original plan - i.e. to leave the tree as is hoping that the week point at its tachiagari will be overcome by time - was tumbling at least a bit. Long run and uncertain outcome.   For sure - the lower part of the trunk has gained a bit more on the girth but the original disproportion was so dramatic that I could not imagine a believable story the tree could tell about the place it lives.   Well, apart from  telling the truth: This is   A Tree In The Rock. As a concept  I guess it will be quite original to see something different than a Tree On The Rock.  But in terms of practicality,   I could  add rocks to its base to keep the visual concept of a tree growing in the crevice - but the arrangement will be too heavy for two hands to handle.  A thin excuse,  perhaps...

Considering other options I was thinking how I can get roots a bit higher.  Root grafts?  Air layer?   Then I have red an article on the Czech bonsai forum published by Mimo who airlayered the branch of a pear.   So the seed has been sown and some more reading on the subject has added water, sun and fertiliser.

April 2016 - a vigorous new flush of growth.   So I have decided:  Air layer.

2015  Tachiagari



2016

June 2016


Cracks on bark due to the new strong growth
Cracks on bark due to the new strong growth _ 2

Pond basket to cover the airlayer


 New roots - white and tiny -  within less than a month time from the initial cut.   Very happy to see you guys...





 Well,  these  roots are well above the position of the air layer. Basically on the level between the substrate and sphagnum moss.  I hope there are ones more deeper inside the substrate as well.   Too dangerous to check  now.   Lets wait and see...  

Anyway, a special thank to Mimo sensei.



 ( You can find the initial post about this tree  here )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro