The HUG_Prunus mahaleb with a single live vein and bulky deadwood


No TdF cycling today and  the deeply buried thorn in my right palm prevents me from most of the bonsai activities - so a good time to share  another piece of a dead wood...

Right, so what we have here is "a typical bonsai".   The size of both jins is too big and there is too much dead wood. A single narrow live vein that feeds  an airy crown.  Something you may find on a junipers, but not really on a deciduous tree.  Unless the tree has started a countdown to pack it...

But despite all this there it is.  And  I do like it.  It is not a bunjin but I have tried to style the crown into something that reflects my  vision  how I see the bunjin-gi during  my day dreaming procrastination.  The narrow live vein is the only vital line that connects roots to the leaves.   Cliffs heated by the sun, scarce water supply, biting frosts.  All that is deeply embedded in the face of this little tree.  Would you expect a flourishing crown of foliage on a tree that lives in such biotype?





A side talk: I have grown a sacrifice branch to get a taper to the top.  The length of the branch was close to one meter.  But no taper, just a cylindrical growth with a girth no more than 7 mm.  Strange, I would expect to get such type of whip like growth on a birch not a mahaleb. I have given up and it has been shorted to the outline of the crown.   Will try another one. And another one or two, three, four... until I get what I want. 

Details of naturally weathered dead wood






 And my poor attempt to match that.   Firstly tried to match the cracking with a sharp knife. No chance - the wood is due to its very slow growth extremely hard.  The burr was better,  but the line is too wide.  No chance to get any improvement with my hand now.  I guess I will leave it over the winter to see what we get.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro