Pyrus communis_Air layer

This pear  found a way to my garden a few years ago.   And only after another good number of years I was passing by it.  This was definitely NOT a love on a first sight.  And at the time I have decided to collect it there was a nasty surprise below the surface.   At a first sight plenty of small feeder roots.  But we know this could be deceptive.  You must be sure that they are part of your targeted plant.   So I have started to dig deeper and deeper to find the place where the first  feeder roots are connected to the primary root.   Bad luck the place was more than 50 cm deep below the soil level.  Gosh.

Right.  At home, I have squeezed the long primary roots with collected feeders somehow into the large plastic pot and left it for a few years there.
Spring 2019 - time to start with the airlayer
Late summer 2019  - first check to see the result.  Yes, I have learned to be very patient.  ( not really:(  )

And this is how it looks...



Before separation.  Just removed the basket to see the rootball.





Yakisugi  ( Japanese burnt wood ) to improve its stability.  Will see how it works for bonsai.



Now, where is the final picture to see the tree?   Well, it may come in due time.   Right now I can confirm that the new shohin starter is doing well ( 2 weeks after separation).

Next update in spring...

Comments

  1. You managed to get this amount of roots on pear in few months? How exactly you were doing layer technique? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pekný balíček koreňov drakulujem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like it guys. That makes three of us :)
    But frankly when it comes to my contribution:
    Never heard of that The Dumbest Farmers Grow the Biggest Potatoes?

    Maros, if you can bear with me for few days I will put something in writing here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro