Ji-ita_Hornbeam

   In the early December I have started to work on a reasonably sized burl - suvel.  Within a couple of hours I have managed to cut  three slices planned to be transformed for ji-itas.  Manually  with a foxtail saw.     There is an old saying that one gets nicely warm three times making a firewood.  First time during the harvest in the forest.  Second time cutting it into smaller pieces and finally at home in the stove.   I can confirm that the first two are correct.  As for the third - I was afraid that the slices may end up as a firewood but luckily that was not the case.  And apart from these three slices I have managed to transform the last part of the burl into something like a bowl.  

   After cutting I  have left the slices to dry out a little and then in mid of Jan they received the first soak of synthetic resin.   Today is the 30th Jan and I have decided to see how they look and to make some pictures.


   Suvel types of burl are quite different from the so called burl caps.   But they are beautiful as well.  The pics below are really not making a justice to them. On the top this burl has been infected by fungi - so there are even more colour effects.  Eager to see if I can make most of it.

 2 Ji-ita
Both of them around 30 cm
  There are still a some work before I can call them finished.  Some work but a lot of technical breaks ie waiting for curing ect. to be precise.

A bowl
20 cm , height 6 cm



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro