What kind of tree you will draw if you are asked to show a typical elm?

Well, there are not many elms in my neighborhood but I would think about nice tall tree proudly overlooking green meadows.   Now in reality, just looking on few elms at our place,  they paint a quite different picture.

Just like this one...

Two trunks merged together?







Collected in 2017 in Central Bohemia.   Love on a first sight.  I have been passing around this little fella for a good number of years.   Apparently always looking on the other side of the track and not bothered to inspect the surrounding bush more carefully.

First styling ( rather a butchery I should say ) on 5th May 2020.   Later on I plan to extend the butchery a bit further - for the time being I plan to extend the uro on the main trunk all along the debarked section of the main trunk.   I guess this plan looks better than the original one  - to remove the double section by an air layer and keep just the part where the both trunks are merged.   Maybe this was not a bad option but for me the tree will lose part of its character.  I think that the main reason for the air layer solution at that time was  that I was a bit pround of myself with results of the air layering technique.  Never heard of overused skills?     We tend to use methods that we believe we are good at more frequently than the other ones.   Quite productive up to a certain extend but we should avoid that if there are more simple and better solutions.  

Height: 30 cm ( up to the dead stump on the main trunk )

Please, despite all that butchery - do not get me wrong.   I am very mild person loving butterflies and flowers...  Nearly as much as our prime minister babis.  But he likes rapeseed mainly...

Rhodohypoxis Hebron Farm

 Red Admiral





Comments

  1. I love the natural uro it came with! Can't wait to see your extension of it.

    So you didn't train the branches much at this time, just prepared your future deadwood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at the beginning I was planning to keep the uro as it is and to build the folliage just around it. Unfortunately there was only growth on the top section of the main trunk. I have removed the leader there with the hope to promote growth on lower section. No luck, though and part of the main trunk has died off - hence the plan to convert in into uro and to add some shari to get taper. At the moment only the leaders on both trunk were wired and put into position.

      Delete
  2. It is pity if you lose some part of the tree when you plan to use it. I know the feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to admit that these are the sad sacrifices of our endevour. But luckily quite often it works for us well.

      Most of your trees are clear evidences:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro