Prunus mahaleb_Bunji-gi_Give me a place to stand on, and I will move the Earth ( aka ... bend the f... trunk )

 Just looking at this mahaleb last autumn I realised  that all my previous attempts to change the angle of the trunk in its last third were just a mere tickling.   I was thinking to fix it  immediately but giving it a second thought I decided to postpone the activity till the time the tree enters the post pormancy period = the level of hormones inhibiting the activity of the tree is low but the tree is not starting its activity ( I mean visible activity  such as the growht of the buds ) because it is kept low till the time of longer days and warmer temps.   Autumn and winter are in my experience the most suitable periods for heavy bends  but the most problematic one at the same time.  Heavy bends mean a tissue damage that could suffer even more because of the winter frost.  So you should keep such trees in the non frost area. Not below freezing point and not above 5-6°C as this is about the right range to keep the trees in dormancy.  Clear - you do not kill your tree if for any reason it is kept in a place with higher temperature.  You will most probably get leaves quite early and longer internodes unless you have a reasonable lightning in place.  But if you do that  with trees from temperate climate  repeatedly, then you are weakening your tree which could lead to its termination.  Because of that I prefer to do such activities in the month of February.  The tree would have its dormancy rest,  the branches are still with minimum flow of sap and spring is just behind the corner.  (And besides, I can alleviate my hunger for some bonsai activity).   And for sure we  still should keep the tree in a shelter to avoid frost.

 Autumn  2019


 Winter 2021  ( February )


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro