Small trees in my backyard: Prunus mahaleb

Small trees in my backyard:  Prunus mahaleb

Mahaleb cherry


Height: 20 cm
Nebari: 8 cm
Pot: Training
Collected in central Bohemia in 2012


There are not many mahalebs in the shohin category.  Just try to use the search engine and you will see how many results will come back to you.   I have been searching for a small mahaleb for many years.  I have crisscrossed all "my mahaleb's " sites many times.  No luck.  Explored new promissing locations with the same results.   So you can imagine my feelings  when I stumbled over this one.   


  



July 2015





In autumn 2015 I have decided that there is time to move the tree into the prebonsai stage.  So it has been moved into the non frost over winter shelter that allows me to work on the tree in this odd period.




Dec 2015
Dead wood carving in progress.   The rough part has been completed but still more fine tuning is needed.
Also need to decide on the first branch on the left ( see first pic of the tree in this paragraph)  - too straight and not well positioned it makes the top part of the tree too busy for me.   I also consider some thread grafting - so I have kept in place the shoot on the bottom of the trunk.     

Initial story: here

Presented small trees: 


Carpinus betulus_2   here





Carpinus betulus here
                                      
   Prunus spinosa_1  here         Jun. communis  here             Acer campestre here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro