Back to the shop_ A Stump stand

A few year ago I managed to collect this interesting stump.  Did my best to dry it out slowly to avoid cracks.  And luckily this was the case.   Well, it is so easy to say but apart from some experience you still need a sizeable piece of luck to achieve that.  

And I should  also mention something else:  PATIENCE.  Quite a challenge for me.  At the time of the collection I have realised that this piece of wood has a great potential.  And as my heart beats for root stands my mind has immediately started to work on the image.  So you are ready to transfer your vision into the reality but hey! You still need to wait 2-3 years at least  to  have the wood ready for the transformation.  Pain.

Finally,  at the end of the last December the all of us were ready to go.   I mean the stump, me and the straight grinder&burrs.    Taking the stump in my hands and looking at it ( my mind was still firmly on the root stand )  the better of me has realised that the piece of wood has a lot of character right now and forcing it into the root stand would kill most of  its natural beauty.  So, I  have left it alone at most parts only having a touch here and there just for the good feelings I have done my part as well.   

Hope, I did not screw it too much...

 

Dimension:

Diameter: 20 cm 

Height: 6 cm

Stained.   ( I was really worried to get into this but somewhow no blotching there. Lucky me... )

Finish: tung oil & resin.   Tree coates in place and another 2-3 to go...



The central part has been carved a bit  and transformed into the head of a spider ( see below )

The remains of the horizontal root on the right  have been converted into the head of a turtle-see below

The horizontal root is hidden in my hand...




 Head of the turtle 


Head of the spider


The turtle on its back...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro