Easy peasy_Air layer_Prunus mahleb_A try #2

I have made the first air layer attempt  in spring 2016.   Just a single growing season after the collection.   The result?  Well, not a complete failure. But something quite close to it.
If interested to get more details, please visit the initial article here

Air layer 2016_result

Yamadori, Prunus mahaleb, mahalebka, bonsai, air layer, hřížení

2017   Attempt #2

Winter 2017

Result?  A bunch of new roots encircling the trunk.  So, this is much better.   I will keep the original roots in place till the next spring.    The main task for now is to protect all the new tender roots against the frost.  Very often there is a hard frost in January without any snowbed.  Too harsh for young seedlings or as I believe for young roots formed by the air layer.    In fact,  there is a lot of information HOW to make the air layer.  But not so much on the aftercare.  How to sustain/improve/prune  the newly formed roots to get a healthy plant with a  flared trunk and a nice spread of surface roots.   So to cover this part briefly: In case of a ground layer such as this one I keep the original roots untouched till the start of the next growth season.  Separation will be done at the time of re-potting.  During the dormancy I keep the airlayered plant in a non frost area.  Ideally the place should be below 5°C.   Separation is done at the time of re-potting.  As a pot I tend to use a flat wood container made to measure.   Ground is even a better option.  But in this case I would use a piece of wood board that I put below the roots.   Well, I think I can write a new article on this topic with some pics in the spring. 

So here we are at last.  Small chubby trunk as a starting point for a new shohin.

Current height: 10 cm - top jin.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro